3/11/09

More Filmmaker Quotes



"Decent films are just disappearing. Everything's being made for kids." -Robert Altman (from his audio commentary on The Player)

"To be or not to be. That's not really a question." -Jean Luc Godard

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying." -Woody Allen

"The Universal backlot is where I first met Mr. Hitchcock... I directed the very last episode of 'The Alfred Hitchcock Hour'... Hitchcock would come in one day a week... And I was a young man in my twenties that had never made anything on a sound stage, but had made a documentary film that impressed Hitchcock and his producer. I remember one day when Hitchcock came on the set, and he was introduced to me, and he held out his hand with his fingers sort of drooping as if I were supposed to kiss his hand rather than shake it, and I was kind of put off by this but I said, 'Mr.Hitchcock, what an honor it is to meet you!' And he looked at me rather critically, and he said, 'Mr.Friedkin, usually our directors wear ties.' And he was off - he took off - and he didn't say another word to me at that time. Then about four years later, I had just won the Directors Guild Award at the ceremony at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, and there was Hitchcock at a table with his family right below where I was standing to accept the award. I made my acceptance speech and then I walked down the short flight of steps, and I had on one of those snap-on bow ties, and I was holding the DGA award, and I snapped the tie at Mr.Hitchcock and I said, 'How do you like the tie now, Hitch?'" -William Friedkin, director of The Exorcist, on his relationship with Alfred Hitchcock, from Friedkin's feature-length audio commentary on a new version of Hitchcock's Vertigo

"People love seeing violence and horrible things. The human being is bad and he can`t stand more than five minutes of happiness. Put him in a dark theater and ask him to look at two hours of happiness and he`d walk out or fall asleep." -Paul Verhoeven (Basic Instinct, Robocop, Starship Troopers)

No comments: